Your Partner for Innovative Clean Energy Solutions for Future Generations
Across our business, we are committed to creating a more sustainable future by providing our customers with clean energy solutions that will deliver clean, flexible, efficient, and reliable power to share with future generations.
Renewable and clean gases like hydrogen can be the fuel source in gas turbine power plants. PSM actively works with customers to upgrade existing gas turbines with reliable, cost-effective solutions utilizing alternative fuel options. PSM retrofit gas turbine technologies reduce carbon intensity with neutral solutions for power generation.
Solving the energy trilemma
The energy trilemma refers to the challenge of balancing three aspects of energy systems: environmental sustainability, energy affordability, and energy reliability. PSM assists plant operators in achieving their decarbonization goals for their installed fleet of gas turbines. Achieving these three goals helps our customers meet the challenges today and in the future.
Here are some ways in which PSM is addressing these challenges:
PSM is helping customers develop clean energy solutions that are environmentally sustainable. PSM is focused on reducing the carbon footprint of their customers and themselves to minimize impact on the environment. PSM also prioritizes energy efficiency in their solutions to reduce energy waste and greenhouse gas emissions at their facilities and workshop.
PSM focuses on developing reliable and resilient energy systems solutions so power plant operators can power critical infrastructure and industries. PSM offers a range of solutions and services to upgrade or retrofit gas turbines for fuel flexibility. These system designs are highly efficient, with a focus on maximizing availability.
PSM recognizes the importance of providing access to energy for all, regardless of socioeconomic status or geographic location. To address this challenge, PSM provides customers with solutions that are tailored to the needs of different communities and industries.
Overall, PSM is working to address the energy trilemma by providing reliable, equitable, and sustainable energy solutions for customers in various industries and communities.
Advantages Of retrofitting and upgrading For Clean hydrogen fuel:
- Reduced carbon emissions: Hydrogen is a clean-burning fuel that produces zero carbon emissions when combusted. By retrofitting gas turbines to run on hydrogen, power plants can significantly reduce their carbon footprint and contribute to ongoing efforts to combat climate change.
- Greater fuel flexibility: Your turbine will be able to run on 100% methane gas to 100% hydrogen.
- Improved efficiency: Hydrogen has a higher energy content per unit volume than natural gas. With PSM power retrofits, plants running can achieve higher power output and improved efficiency.
- Reduced maintenance costs: Our combustion retrofits are designed to meet the demanding needs of the operator, resulting in reduced maintenance costs over time.
- Asset Optimization: By upgrading your existing turbine for enhanced operational and clean fuel flexibility, equipment can be profitably repurposed and future-proofed for decades to come.
- Energy security: Hydrogen can be produced domestically from a variety of sources, including natural gas, biomass, and renewable energy sources (such as solar and wind). This reduces our dependence on foreign oil and enhances energy security.
- A cleaner grid: Gas turbines running on hydrogen can provide cleam firming and peak power capacity, which can help stabilize the power grid during periods of high demand and/or intermittency of renewable energy generation.
Overall, retrofitting gas turbines to run on hydrogen can offer significant benefits in terms of reduced carbon emissions, greater fuel flexibility, improved efficiency, reduced maintenance costs, and improved grid stability.
Hydrogen Color Spectrum
The terms gray-, blue-, green-, pink- and turquoise-hydrogen are energy industry terms used to describe different technologies for producing hydrogen and associated environmental impact. Each color code on the hydrogen color spectrum corresponds to a unique hydrogen production method. Here is a brief overview of the different types of hydrogen:
- Derived mainly from natural gas using a process called steam methane reforming (SMR)
- Carbon byproduct released into atmosphere
- Derived from fossil fuels using the SMR process with carbon capture and storage (CCS)
- Minimal carbon footprint
- Derived from renewable energy sources (i.e., solar or wind) through electrolysis
- Produces no carbon emissions
- Derived from nuclear energy through electrolysis
- Produced with no carbon emissions
- Derived using methane pyrolysis to make hydrogen and solid carbon
- May be valued as low-emission if powered by renewable energy and carbon is stored or used
How PSM Converts a Gas Turbine to Run on Natural Gas And/or Hydrogen Fuel
- Determine the turbine's compatibility with hydrogen: The first step is to determine whether the gas turbine is compatible with hydrogen. This involves analyzing the turbine's design, materials and operating parameters to ensure safe operation with hydrogen fuel.
- Modify the fuel system: The next step is to modify the existing fuel system to accommodate hydrogen. This involves either modifying or replacing the natural gas with a fuel flexible supply system. This encompasses installing a blending and delivery system.
- Modify the combustion system: Retrofit/Install a PSM Flamesheet™ or LEC III™ combustion system.
- Test and commission the turbine: After upgrades are completed, the turbine needs to be systematically tested to ensure safety and efficient operation. Verify performance improvements and emission reductions.
PSM has a team of engineers and technicians who specialize in gas turbine conversions and can help customers navigate the process. A detailed assessment of the plant and decarbonization goals are required to specify the scope of the conversion.
Take the first step towards a cleaner, more efficient energy future by exploring our range of gas turbine solutions today. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you power your operations while reducing your carbon footprint.
Learn More:Clean Energy Brochure
Hydrogen in the News
PSM, Thomassen Energy and Hanwha Power Systems Achieve Record Hydrogen Use in Gas Turbine Power Plant
PSM’s FlameSheet™ retrofit combustion system delivers industry-record 60% hydrogen fuel blend with single-digit emissions in 80MW heavy-duty frame gas turbine…
Completion of Gas Turbine Modifications for Hydrogen Co-firing at Linden Gas Thermal Power Station
JERA Co., Inc. (“JERA”) has completed modification of the gas turbine at Linden Gas Thermal Power Station Unit 6 in the United States to enable the use of hydrogen…read more
Korea Western Power Company, Tallgrass, and PSM to Collaborate on Utility Scale Decarbonization
KOWEPO, Tallgrass, and Power Systems Mfg, LLC (PSM) today announced their agreement to collaborate on key infrastructure investments for the conversion of natural gas-fired power generation to clean hydrogen…read more